The NASW-NC Board of Directors is comprised of volunteer NASW-NC members who are elected or appointed from the Chapter membership.
- Most Board members serve 2 year terms
- BSW and MSW student representatives, and President-Elect serve 1 year terms
- Board terms follow the Chapter fiscal year which begins July 1 and ends June 30 each year.
- The Board of Directors holds 6 meetings during the year, including an annual Board retreat in July.
- All Board meetings, with the exception of executive sessions, are open to the membership. Board members discuss association policy and programming and set chapter policies concerning social work practice issues.
Why should I apply?
NASW-NC seeks engaging and passionate North Carolina members to serve on the Board of Directors! Volunteering as an Ambassador of the association and profession is a great opportunity to network and grow as a social worker, as well as to make a difference in social work in our state. NASW-NC is fiscally stable and organizationally sound as a result of incredible leadership and staff, and it is our aim to remain THE association supporting social workers!
How do I apply?
It is your responsibility to ensure that you are able to meet the requirements of being a board member and perform your role BEFORE applying for office. For more information about specific roles, other than what is provided on this page, please contact Kathy Boyd (Executive Director). The CNLI chair is a non-voting volunteer member of the NASW-NC Board of Directors, and is responsible for collecting potential candidate information and presenting the information to the board.
- Review the criteria for serving as a board member. - Yearly board retreat (July 21 and July 22, 2017)
- Complete the online application - Deadline is 6 months before the yearly retreat (January 31, 2017). - Applicants have an opportunity to attend board meeting (current board meetings listed on the calendar)
- Candidates will be contacted in February by a board member.
- Ballot approved by Board at March Board Meeting
- Election will occur in April.
- Candidates will be notified in May of election results.
Please review ALL of the information below. Should you feel you are able to meet the requirements of serving with NASW-NC, please click the link at the bottom of the screen to submit your application.
Board Member Requirements
All Board members shall:
- Serve as an Ambassador of NASW-NC (Carry out Board generated activities such as member recruitment and retention, promotion of the social work profession, marketing of NASW-NC conferences and activities, and fund development)
- Attend Board Meetings (6 per year)
- Attend the July Board Retreat (REQUIRED TO RUN) July 21 and July 22, 2017
- Attend one NASW-NC conference per year at which they will coordinate conference duties and membership visibility activities with the Chapter President.
- Officers and Student Representatives shall serve on the Executive/Governance Committee
- District Representatives will attend at least one LPU meeting (per year) of an LPU within their District.
- Serve a 2 year term with the Exception of the President Elect, Undergraduate Student Representative and Graduate Student Representative, all of whom serve one year terms.
Positions Available 2016-2017
- President Elect—3 year term (2017-2020). Serve one year as Elect and two years as President.
- Secretary—2 year term (2017-2019)
- Committee on Nominations and Leadership (CNLI)—2 candidates (2017-2019)
- Student Representatives: 1 year term (2017-2019) Graduate 2018 or later
- District Representatives—1 year term (2017-2018)
- At Large Representatives 2 year term (2017-2019)
• 7 positions
Review Board Position Descriptions
Have you reviewed the above requirements?
Have you reviewed the Position Descriptions?
Can you fulfill the role of NASW-NC Board of Directors?
Are you an active NASW-NC Member?