About the Award
The NASW-NC Myrna Miller Wellons Advocacy Award is an annual award given to someone who has demonstrated a strong passion to advocate for the needs of the social work profession and/or policy issues. This nominee has been a champion in impacting policy both for the social work profession and the clients served by social workers.
The Award, previously the Advocate of the Year Award, was renamed in 2010 in honor of the late Myrna Miller Wellons, a past Director of Government Relations for NASW-NC and strong advocate for the social work profession. Mrs. Wellons was a tireless advocate for many issues and a mentor to many social workers across the state.
Candidates must be nominated, must be NC residents and have demonstrated a clear passion for advocating on behalf of social workers. The nominee can be a social worker, elected official, or anyone who has made a difference through advocacy. Anyone can nominate.
Selection and Recognition of Recipients
All completed nomination packets received by January 9th, 2015 will be reviewed by the NC-PACE and Legislative Committees and considered for the Award. In selecting the Award winner, weight is placed on active involvement in advocating on behalf of the social work profession and/or social work client populations.
NASW-NC recognizes the Award Winner in the following ways:
- A photo of the Award winner along with an article appears on the front page of the NASW-NC newsletter.
- Press releases may be sent to area media.
- Information about the winner is placed on the NASW-NC web page.
- The winner is presented with a plaque at the NASW-NC annual Ethics and Recognition & Awards Conference.
- The winner is recognized at any of the NASW-NC conferences that they attend. This recognition is usually in the form of a verbal announcement made during the announcements and introductions done during the conference plenary.
Download the Nomination Form!
Forms may also be requested from the NASW-NC Chapter office by calling 800-280-6207 or 919-828-9650, or emailing Kay Castillo. Nomination forms must be accompanied by the following documentation and received by the NASW-NC Chapter office (in full) by January 9th, 2015:
- History of employment and/or volunteer experience (with dates) OR resume of nominee.
- Discuss how the nominee has advocated for policy impacting the social work profession and the clients served by social workers. Specific examples are required.
- Discuss the nominee’s involvement in professional, civic and community organizations, giving specific examples.
For More Information
Nomination forms and additional information about the Myrna Miller Wellons Advocacy Award are available from:
P.O. Box 27582
Raleigh, NC 27611-7582
Telephone: (919) 828-9650 or (800) 280-6207
Fax: (919) 828-1341
Contact by Email
2015 Award Winner
Learn more about Lauren's advocacy efforts here.
Past Award Winners
Barbara Zelter, 2014
Jenny Gadd, 2013
Richard Ballard, 2012
Representative Rick Glazier, 2010
Methodist University Social Work Department, 2010
NC School Social Work Association, 2008
Representative Martha Alexander, 2008
Gary Shaffer, 2007
Senator Martin L. Nesbitt Jr., 2007
Representative Jennifer Weiss, 2005
Representative Verla Insko, 2004
Senator William N. Martin, 2003
Senator Steve Metcalf, 2002
Senator William Purcell, 2000
Representative Martha Alexander, 1999
Senator Howard Lee, 1999
Bevelry Perdue, 1998
Dan Beerman, 1997
Dan Hudgins, 1998
Senator William N. Martin, 1996
Bill Crawford, 1994
Dee Gamble, 1994
Representative Elaine Marshall, 1994
Wilburn Hayden, Jr., 1993
Helen Rhyne Marvin, 1993
Pat Bullard, 1989