About the Social Worker of the Year Award
The NASW-NC Social Worker of the Year Award is an annual award given to a social work professional who has demonstrated commendable social work practice and involvement with NASW and other professional, civic, and community organizations.
Candidates for the Social Worker of the Year Award must be nominated. Nominees must be members of NASW and residents of North Carolina. Current members of the NASW-NC Board of Directors are not eligible for the Social Worker of the Year Award. Anyone can nominate.
Click here for the nomination form. Nomination forms may also be requested from the NASW-NC Chapter office by calling 800-280-6207 or 919-828-9650, or emailing email@example.com. Nomination forms must be accompanied by the following documentation and received by the NASW-NC Chapter office (in full) by December 15:
- History of employment and/or volunteer experience (with dates) OR resume.
- Discussion of how the nominee has benefited his/her clients, professional community, and social work profession. Specific examples are required.
- Discuss the nominee’s involvement in professional, civic and community organizations. Discuss statewide and/or regional impact on profession and substantial contributions to NASW. Please give specific examples.
- Attach two letters of recommendation/support.
Deadline for nominations is December 15.
Selection and Recognition of Recipients
All completed nomination packets received by December 15 will be reviewed by the NASW-NC Board of Directors and considered for the Award. In selecting the Social Worker of the Year, weight is placed on professional achievement having had far reaching impact on populations, respective agencies, the community, and the social work profession as a whole.
Here are some ways that NASW-NC recognizes the Social Worker of the Year:
- A photo of the award winner along with an article appears on the front page of the NASW-NC newsletter.
- Press releases may be sent to area media.
- Information about the winner is placed on the NASW-NC web page.
- Information about the winner is sent to the National office and the winners name is placed in the National NASW Awards program flyer.
- The winner is invited to attend any NASW-NC conference during the "year” of their selection, without having to pay the registration fee.
- The winner is presented with a plaque at the NASW-NC annual Ethics and Recognition & Awards Conference.
- The winner is recognized at any of the NASW-NC conferences that they attend.This recognition is usually in the form of a verbal announcement made during the announcements and introductions done during the conference plenary.
- If time frames allow, the winner will be nominated for the National NASW Social Worker of the Year Award.
For More Information
Nomination forms and additional information about the Social Worker of the Year Award are available from:
P.O. Box 27582
Raleigh, NC 27611-7582
Telephone: (919) 828-9650 or (800) 280-6207
Fax: (919) 828-1341
2015 Award Winner
Kelly Spangler, LCSW
Click here to read more about Kelly and her accomplishments!
Past Award Winners
John Cowart - 2015
DeWitt Black - 2014
Deborah Grey - 2013
Barbara "Bebe" Smith - 2012
Cordelia Steele - 2011
JoAnn McCachern Swart - 2010
Daniel R. Beerman - 2009
Linda R. Williams - 2008
Anna Scheyett - 2007
Elaine Cummings - 2006
Steve Marson - 2005
William E. "Bill" Lamb - 2004
Larry Sharpe - 2003
Jennifer Woods Parker - 2002
James P. "Phil" Sprouse - 2001
Glenna Harford - 2000
Ann Johnson - 1999
Clarence Boyd - 1998
Patricia Heard - 1997
Andrea Benfield - 1996
Edna Ballard - 1995
Mary Ann Black - 1994
Eugene Sumner - 1993
Janet Andrews Johnson - 1992
Gaye Styron - 1991
Dorothy "Doe" Ferrell - 1990
Alice M. Sisson - 1989
Wilburn Hayden Jr. - 1988
E.C. Chip Modlin - 1987
Carolyn Thornton - 1986
Sue Applewhite - 1985
Almon Carr - 1984
Virginia Rigsbee - 1983
Constantine "Connie" Kledaras - 1982
Geraldine Calloway - 1981
Florence Ryan - 1980
Albert King - 1979
Don Boone - 1978
Ellen Winston - 1977